|ABSTRACT : Experience Daily Life in the Viking Age!
Living History specialist / Artisan Blacksmith Darrell Markewitz offers a regular series of weekend long programs in a number of aspects of traditional Blacksmithing. Special courses include : layered steels (pattern welding), bladesmithing / knife making, bronze casting, iron smelting. Programs held at the Wareham Forge in Ontario Canada, with remote teaching offered at other facilities.
August 1 & 2
Saturday (overnight) & Sunday
You have seen it on the television shows
and movies - but what was it ACTUALLY like to live in
the Viking Age?
Experiencing the Viking Age is an immersive
hands on program, runing two full days plus camping
overnight. After a background look at the archaeology of
the Norse, students will change into period cothes, then
set up camp, using replica tents, beds and other gear.
Food preparation for the meals will be undertaken over
an open fire - again with historic types and tools.
There will be a chance to try some crafts skills, and
make some small objects, yours to keep.
This program is open to any physically able
people, from young adults onwards. (Children
accompanied by a parent, aged 8 and up.)
Saturday, the program starts with a background
lecture covering the historical Viking Age.
|Saturday Night :
- Dinner - since you cooked it, now to eat it!
- Combat of the Vikings, a look at weapons and armour.
- The later evening will be spent around the fire, learning and playing Nnefatafal, telling some tales of Gods, Heroes and Travels. (There may be a bit of mead tasting?)
- Overnight will be sleeping in the tents, under wool cloaks and sheep skins.
- Break your Fast cooking flat cakes over the fire.
- The main morning activity will be learning, then making, glass beads over a replica charcoal furnace.
- Lunch again simple travel foods (plus any left over stew?)
- An examination of Norse metalworking : tools for wood working, iron smelting, blacksmithing, bronze casting.
- Finish up by de-constructing camp.
Your instructor, Darrell Markewitz, is well known
as a specialist in the Viking Age - a life time of
research and practice.
A number of video segments illustrating working with Norse tools / objects can be found on Darrell's YouTube channel
This program goes on RAIN OR SHINE.
- Any students with "learning \ physical disabilities"
need to refer to the detail section on Course Requirements. English is
the language of instruction. Sorry - this is an outdoor
program, and not really wheel chair accessible.
Remember: to guarantee a place, ensure your application & deposit will be received at least 30 days before the course date you desire.
On receiving your deposit, a set of instructions detailing how to get to the Wareham Forge will be sent. (For planning, Wareham is near Flesherton, Ontario - about 45 minutes drive north of Orangeville.)
electronic payment system.
|Experience the Viking Age
August 2 & 3 - 2020
ENSURE YOUR COURSE REGISTRATION!
Please read CANCELLATION POLICY
'Experience the Viking Age'
|Course fees and
deposits can be made with your credit card.
Contact me for further details
the Wareham Forge
The Hamlet of Wareham, R.R. #2 Proton Station, Ontario
CANADA - N0C 1L0
(519) 923-9219 // E-mail
Interested in adding Viking Age Living History to YOUR Special Event
or Educational Program?
Darrell has both developed programming, and mounted many presentations over the decades
Check for details on the 'Museum Services' section
For availablity and rates, please contact me.